Happy Black Friday My Friends!
T’was the night before Thanksgiving (which is always a Wednesday), and if you knocked on my front door you would be greeted with one of my favorite family traditions … Whiskey Wednesday. We invite friends and family over to partake in a small pre-Thanksgiving meal which my mom calls the “pregame” and end the night with Old Fashions (made by a one-of-a-kind old fashion himself – aka my dad). Being raised by whiskey fanatics, this is one of my favorite family traditions. Everyone brings their favorite whiskey or bourbon so we can share the love by tasting different types.
The cocktails are served with baked brie, sushi, and dips for salty treats. The night is full of many laughs, great conversations, and music of course. The festivities warms my heart like the whiskey cocktail magically does.
If you are not the biggest fan of the traditional Old Fashion cocktail itself, I have a drink that you will fall head over heels for! I introduce the… Brown Sugar Cinnamon Spice.
Don’t let the name scare you away though! The only calories in this drink come from the whiskey itself and bitters (it’s very low cal). The cinnamon takes away the bite of the whiskey but still leaves that warm feeling in your heart.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 2 oz of bourbon or rye your choice (I prefer Small Batch 1792 Bourbon)
- 1/4 oz of Sugar Free Brown Sugar Cinnamon Syrup
- Orange peel for a garnish
- Cranberries if you want to make it festive
1. Get a glass to mix alcohol in. Bryce and I use a beaker so nothing splashes out.
2. Put the glass you are going to be drinking from in the freezer with an ice cube in it so the cup stays chilled.
3. Mix together all liquid ingredients with a handle full of ice cubes for 20-30 seconds.
4. Strain your concoction into your chilled glass.
5. Take orange peel and rub the rim of your glass with it then squeeze the peel over the drink to add an extra zest.
6. Garnish the top with the orange peel and drop in a couple of cranberries
7. Enjoy! (responsibly of course)
I hope this inspires you to give whiskey a second chance (haha), or maybe even try a new tradition with friends and family. If your family has fun traditions like mine, I would love to know in the comments!
Have a wonderful rest of your Black Friday and a blessed Cyber Monday.