As a little Pre-Valentine treat, I want to share one of my favorite, quick snacks. I love it almost as much as chocolate.
This Acai bowl is delicious and relieves me from all of my winter blues plus it is really easy to make. It has literally taken me about 12 tries to perfect this super-simple recipe. I’ll share some of my secrets and tips so yours turns out perfect the first go ’round.
Before I jump into the details about this yummy piece though, I do want to have a serious chat about food (lol, who thought that would be a thing?).
To start off, I think most people like food…but me, I realllllllllllly love food.
Not too long ago though, Food and I had a pretty unhealthy relationship and it wasn’t until a couple months ago where we figured out how to get along.
Growing up I was an extremely active girl. I remember in high school that my mom would literally pick me up from cheer practice, then to dive practice we would go, and after that, she would bring me dinner as we headed to gymnastics practice later that night. My point here is that I was a stick and never did I actually think about what I was putting into my body. I was so active, that I literally could not keep weight on me (man, those were the days).
College however, was a real eye opener.
I had gained quite a few pounds within my first semester and I had fallen into the downward spiral of eating poorly. When I came home for break and realized that my clothes were getting pretty tight, I freaked.
I distinctly remember going on a TWO WEEK juice cleanse in an attempt to make up for all the Ramen noodles and pizza I ate. Never in my life had I felt more energized, gone to the bathroom, and had so much acne on my face. I honestly thought, “Well, I’m doing something that healthy people do, I’m losing weight, I’ll do it for a little bit longer and then I’ll go back to eating normally.”
Remind you that my normal diet consisted of cheeseburgers, instant mac and cheese,…etc.
I was stupid.
The day I went back to eating whole foods, my hair started falling out (I’m not exaggerating when I say half of my eyebrow came out, because it really did), and I felt extremely bloated. That was by far the worst thing I could have ever done to my body.
Eventually, I went back to eating how most people do… kinda healthy…kinda chocolate for dinner some nights. I didn’t always make the healthy option, but I was somewhat aware of what I was eating.
Around the second semester of my sophomore year, my eating habits didn’t really change until I met my handsome, smart, and VERY healthy boyfriend. At this time, I had just made the cheerleading squad for my university and had to stay small so my base could hold me in the air. Thankfully, I fell in love with a guy who loves teaching others about what they should be consuming to help their bodies.
He paved a path for me on my clean eating, fitness journey and taught me a lot about balance in what I ate. I remember him making me my first protein pancake and on date nights we make pizza together homemade. Life is Good! I am now a lover of oatmeal, supplements, and best of all…cooking.
Although its been about 2 years eating somewhat “clean” I still really enjoy it. This has become a lifestyle choice for me that I don’t even have to think twice about doing.
I get a lot questions about what I eat or do I even eat (yes, I eat a lot) but honestly there is no perfect, fit-all diet out there! As long as you are feeding your body to nourish it and maintain a healthy lifestyle, that is the best “diet” to have. Just making simple switches like cooking your food at home instead of going out, or eating some type of green vegetable a day can make all the difference. My shopping cart is full of more fresh vegetables and protein rich foods like chicken and fish. Sometime, I’ll share my grocery haul on my blog.
Okay, that’s enough food talk for today!
Now here’s a recipe to start your Valentine’s Day morning off right.
The Creamiest Açaí Bowl EVER
- Optional – Trader Joe’s Acai Packet (If you don’t use this, it will just be considered a smoothie bowl)
- 2 mini bananas or half of a regular banana (I prefer mini because they blend better for me.)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of greek yogurt
- Half a cup of frozen fruit (This is where you can mix things up! I tend to use frozen berries.)
- 3 ice cubes
- A dash of almond milk
- Optional – 1 scoop of protein powder (I use Ideal Lean in vanilla. This is my favorite brand of protein.)
- Freeze all of the frozen fruit for at least 2 hours. This will give your açaí bowl an ice cream texture.
- Once everything is frozen, defrost the Trader Joe’s açaí packet until you can start to break apart little pieces of the mixture.
- Start by adding all of your fruit and the açaí packet into the blender. Also add in the heaped tablespoon of greek yogurt.
- Before you start to blend it all, add in a little dash of almond milk to get a liquid in there. Then blend. (If you are having trouble blending it all, keep adding almond milk or water in little increments).
- Add in the ice cubes and protein powder. Blend again until smooth.
- Now for the fun part… add in some toppings! My favorite ones to add are fresh fruit, granola, bee pollen, cacao nibs, coconut shreds, goji berries, and nuts. The options are endless.
- Enjoy your masterpiece!
Happy Early Valentine’s Day!